An electronic logging device (ELD) is electronic hardware that is attached to a commercial motor vehicle engine to record driving hours.
The driving hours of commercial drivers (truck and bus drivers) are regulated by a set of rules known as the hours of service (HOS).
The Commercial Vehicle Driver Hours of Service Regulations vary in Canada and the United States. More Information…
An ELD is a device that:
- Records a commercial motor vehicle’s driving time
- Records the driver’s hours of operation
- Is synchronized with the engine of the vehicle
- Electronically displays and transfers ELD information
- Monitors engine data such as:
- Engine power status
- Vehicle motion status
- Miles driven
- Engine hours
- Records data such as:
- Date & Time
- Geographic (GPS) Information
- Engine hours
- Vehicle miles
- Driver identification
- Vehicle identification
- Records events such as:
- Engine power up and shut down
- Driver login/logout
- Duty status changes
- Personal usage
- Malfunction of diagnostic events
- About the ELD Rule…
- Specific Requirements Document (PDF)…
- Electronic Logging Devices and Hours of Service – Frequently Asked Questions (PDF)…
- Electronic Logging Device (ELD) Test Plan and Procedures (PDF)…
- FMCSA ELD Final Rule 12-10-2015 (PDF)…
This manual takes the mystery out of Second-Generation On-Board Diagnostic Systems allowing you to understand your vehicles OBD-II system, plus what to do when the “Check Engine” light comes on, from reading the code to diagnosing and fixing the problem.
The book includes a comprehensive list of computer codes.
Computer-controlled car repair made easy!
For all car and light truck models manufactured since 1996.
Understand your vehicle’s On-Board Diagnostic system
How to deal with that “Check Engine” light–from reading the code to diagnosing and fixing the problem.
Comprehensive computer codes list
- Powertrain management fundamentals
- OBD-II “monitors” explained
- Generic trouble codes that cover all models!
- Manufacturer-specific trouble codes for GM, Ford, Chrysler, Toyota/Lexus and Honda/Acura vehicles
- Let your car’s computer help you find the problem!
- Component replacement procedures
- Glossary and acronym list
- Fully illustrated with over 250 photographs and drawings